The specs for this project called for a reference mood board that would be used to create a color grade on video, title sequences, and lockups. Below are the first two boards that I started with. Neither was chosen for the continued project; however, they both played a large part in the inspiration for the final product.
This is the first set of boards that I came up with. I drew much of the inspiration for these boards from The Martian. There is a gradient color grade on these that I found appropriate for the project, as well as some added techniques with dust.
After doing the first set I wanted to see what would happen if I dropped some of the saturation and went with a black and white style that added some uneasiness. The red is a strong accent.